Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy Friday

I’m watching a bootleg of “Wanted” right now with Angelina Jolie. Yes, I work, I’m just taking a break at the moment. It’s what we do here in China, work, work, work, and then play! My coworker has Will and Grace on her screen and the guy in front of me is passed out on his cot, which is pretty much his daily ritual. I presented my drawings for the riverfront project this morning, and it went really well. They didn’t bat an eye when I proposed the idea of a 500m sky bridge that would link the new city with the old town across the river. Lofty, I know, but they didn’t laugh at me, which is always a good sign.
Weekend Plans: Making my way to Suzhou. Hangzhou last week, Suzhou this week, lot’s of joes’ in China. Suzhou is one of the major cities in the Yangtze River Delta, and the State Council considers it a “relatively” large city~I can’t imagine what they consider large, b/c like Hangzhou, Suzhou has a population that’s in the 6 millions.
Today’s Anecdote: I went to buy my train ticket yesterday and ended up having a conversation with Yahoo’s, Chinese to English translator-function online. The woman I was interacting with didn’t speak any English, so out of frustration, she starts furiously typing Chinese into the program and it spits out, “I retroactively present withdrawal payment”… Exactly.

No comments: